Highlighted as one of the best sources of natural Vitamin D, the Sun can also offer a host of other benefits to our holistic well-being, according to Ayurveda.
One of the many fascinating ideas found in Ayurvedic teachings is that of sun-charged water. The practice of charging water in the sun harnesses the sun’s vital energy to promote overall wellness.
Sunlight is considered to be the main source of fire (heat), which is a key element that makes the Earth and our existence possible. Drinking water that is charged by our life force, the Sun can prove to be extremely beneficial for our health.
What is Sun-Charged Water?
Ayurveda teaches us to honor the sun as a source of life and energy and acknowledges its transformative powers- the Surya Namaskar or sun salutation being a key practice to promote optimum health and well-being
Sun-charged water, known as Surya Jal Chikitsa in Ayurveda, is obtained by exposing water to direct sunlight. This practice is believed to further enhance the health benefits of water consumption, in addition to its already significant impact. This practice is especially important in the context of today's environmental pollution and the common storage of water in plastic bottles and tanks results in what is known as ‘dead water’ in Ayurveda.
The concept is that when sunlight touches water, it adds more than 70 important elements and strong waves to it. This transforms water into a powerhouse with properties that fight viruses, fungi, and bacteria. This natural process becomes particularly relevant in areas where access to fresh water from natural sources is limited.
Sun-charged water, enriched with minerals from the sun, serves as a practical and healthful alternative to conventional drinking water. By embracing this ancient practice, we can ensure that our water hydrates and contributes positively to our overall well-being. It's a simple yet profound way to tap into the benefits of nature for a healthier lifestyle.
How to make Sun-Charged Water?
To prepare sun-charged water, fill up a bottle with water and leave it out in direct sunlight for at least 8 hours. You have the option to do this daily, or for an extra boost, leave it in the sun for 3 days, for 8 hours each day. Skip keeping the water in the refrigerator, as this is believed to rob it of its nutritional value. Feel free to place as many bottles as needed based on your water intake. It's a very simple and easy-to-do process that adds a touch of natural goodness to your hydration routine. Also, as per our recommendation, drink this water throughout the day, depending on individual hydration needs.
What are the Benefits of Sun-Charged Water?
1. Ayurveda emphasizes the importance of Agni, the digestive fire. The water is believed to kindle this fire, promoting efficient digestion and metabolism.
2. The concept of Ama, or toxins, is central to Ayurveda. The water is thought to aid in eliminating Ama, facilitating detoxification and purification of the body.
3. Ayurvedic skincare principles underscore the connection between internal balance and external radiance. Sun-charged water contributes to a radiant complexion by promoting overall health from within.
4. If you often feel low on energy, sun-charged water might be the solution. It provides a natural energy boost, helping you stay active throughout the day.
5. Drinking sun-charged water is an effective way to stay hydrated. It not only quenches your thirst but also contributes to a sense of relaxation and freshness.
6. Washing your eyes and skin with sun-charged water can be beneficial, as its antifungal and antibacterial properties help keep common problems at bay.
Some Things to Keep in Mind
1. The taste and odor of sun-charged water may differ from your usual water. Some people may find it more enjoyable, while others may not prefer the taste.
2. While sunlight has natural antibacterial properties, if the water source or storage container is contaminated, there may be a risk of bacterial growth. Ensure the cleanliness of the container and the water source.
3. Individuals with specific health conditions or those on medication should consult a healthcare professional before making significant changes to their water consumption habits.
How to Utilise Sun-Charged Water for Skincare?
Inducing sun-charged water into your Ayurvedic skincare routine is a simple yet effective process. Follow these steps to seamlessly integrate the two practices:
1. Use your sun-charged water every morning and night to wash your face.
2. Try using Ayurvedic-based natural cleansers such as Neem & Tulsi Cleanser to further help in removing impurities and promoting a healthy glow.
3. Tailor the process based on your skin's needs. For instance, adjust the frequency of sun-charging or experiment with different Ayurvedic ingredients.
Incorporate this ritual consistently into your skincare routine for optimal results. Observe how your skin responds over time and make adjustments as needed.
Whether it's summer or wintertime, embrace this habit and make it a part of your daily routine in any season. It's small, consistent steps like these that eventually contribute significantly to your overall well-being. To add a refreshing twist, consider enhancing this water by including 2 to 3 drops of edible rose water, offering an extra hydrating and cooling effect.
As we journey through the profound Ayurvedic teachings at Ohria Ayurveda, the practice of consuming sun-charged water emerges as a harmonious union of ancient wisdom and modern wellness. Embracing this ritual may not only rejuvenate the body but also nourish the soul, inviting individuals to embark on a holistic path to health and vitality. To know more about such practices, contact us here.